About High Performance Medical Solutions:
A leading wire and cable manufacturer since 1986, Hitachi Cable America designs and produces a broad range of advanced copper and fiber optic-based communication cable for clients in aerospace, medical, supercomputing, high-speed data, oil & gas exploration and the 5G wireless revolution.
Candidates with wire and cable manufacturing experience are preferred, but applicants with other relevant experience are encouraged to apply!
Division/Location: High Performance Medical Solutions / Ashaway, RI
Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Production Supervisor, Extrusion Dept.
The Extrusion Operator is responsible for producing medical (and some non-medical) extruded tubing. Sets up and operates an extrusion machine in accordance with established procedures, guidelines and customer requirements. Reads and interprets blueprints to select, position and operate machinery.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Read, understand and interpret blueprints and part/device specifications.
- Perform extrusion line set-up, shut down, tooling changes and continuous operation.
- Perform basic troubleshooting of extrusion machinery, downstream equipment and plastics melt processes.
- Perform moisture analysis on raw material as needed.
- Tray, bag or otherwise handle product (tubing) once extruded.
- Label product as needed.
- Ensure product meets customer drawing requirements by performing "in-line" inspections per work instructions. Inspection of product may require the use of vision scope, laser micrometers, verniers, micrometers, pin gauges, etc.
- Return raw materials to appropriate staging area when necessary.
- Complete all required documentation for specific job, which may include ERP data entry or scanning of packet bar codes.
- Maintain a clean and tidy work environment.
- Train new employees as needed on all Extrusion Operator essential functions.
- All other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
- Actively support and participate in Lean Manufacturing initiative when applicable and keep the “8 wastes of lean” in mind at all times.
Core Competencies / Qualifications:
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to understand specific directions, follow guidelines that are common throughout the department.
- Maintain a constant focus on quality and accuracy.
- Ability to apply common sense reasoning to carry out instructions or solve problems.
- Work with high level of initiative while under moderate supervision.
- Technical capacity is a must.
- Ability to respond to shifting priorities in a cooperative manner.
- Ability to read and write in English.
- Ability to effectively communicate with supervisor and co-workers.
This position is not responsible for the oversight or performance management of other employees.
This job operates in both a professional office environment as well as other areas of the facility including maintenance, production and warehouse areas. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes, airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment can be loud at times.
- The employee is required to stand and/or sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Will frequently be required to stoop/bend/kneel/crouch/balance/climb.
- Must be able to manipulate and handle various extrusion and inspection tools as well as small tubing products.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. The manufacturing plant is open 24 hours a day, 5 days per week. There are three shifts with typical hours of (may vary depending on department):
1st Shift 8AM - 4:30PM
2nd Shift 4PM - 12:30AM
3rd Shift 12AM - 8:30AM
Little to no travel is expected for this position.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED preferred.
- Manufacturing experience preferred; experience in extrusion, especially medical tubing extrusion, strongly preferred.
- Experience reading and interpreting blueprints a plus.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Hitachi Cable America Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. As a Federal Contractor, we encourage priority referral of protected veterans under VEVRAA.
Note: Candidate must be able to pass a background check and drug screen.