Secondary Operations Operator
About High Performance Medical Solutions:
A division of Hitachi Cable America Inc., we are a leading manufacturer of custom medical tubing and devices as well as defense products. With a strong focus on vertical integration, we are dedicated to providing our customers an all-inclusive experience that accommodates both new R&D projects as well as existing production programs. Our team members are passionate about growth, innovation, and collaboration, if you have this type of mindset then you’re likely a great fit for our team!
Candidates with medical tubing and device and/or machining manufacturing experience are preferred, but applicants with other manufacturing experience are also encouraged to apply! HCA typically trains new employees on the first shift.
Division/Location: High Performance Medical Solutions / Ashaway, RI
Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Director of Manufacturing
The Secondary Operations Operator is responsible for manufacturing product, specifically post-extrusion, “secondary” operations on medical tubing and devices, that meets customer specifications, This position follows standard work methods to ensure production repeatability and the highest quality standards.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Read, understand and interpret blueprints and part/device specifications.
- Perform various secondary operations to extruded tubing including trimming, tipping, bonding, forming, printing and all other activities as instructed by supervisor, making sure to adhere to customer requirements.
- Operate specific equipment based on a particular job requirements.
- Perform necessary adjustments to equipment including replacing wearable parts (bushings, blades, etc.).
- Adhere to validated processing parameters when applicable.
- Accurately fill out all paperwork associated with each job.
- Accurately enter data into MS Excel and/or Microsoft Dynamics AX ERP system as needed.
- Train new employees as needed on all Secondary Operations Operator essential functions.
- Actively support and participate in Lean Manufacturing initiative when applicable and keep the “8 wastes of lean” in mind at all times.
Core Competencies / Qualifications:
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to understand specific directions, follow guidelines that are common throughout the department.
- Maintain a constant focus on quality and accuracy.
- Ability to apply common sense reasoning to carry out instructions or solve problems.
- Work with high level of initiative while under moderate supervision.
- Technical capacity is a must.
- Ability to respond to shifting priorities in a cooperative manner.
- Ability to read and write in English.
- Ability to effectively communicate with supervisor and co-workers.
This position is not responsible for the oversight or performance management of other employees.
This job operates in both a professional office environment as well as other areas of the facility including maintenance, production and warehouse areas. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes, airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment can be loud at times.
- The employee is required to stand and/or sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Occasionally will be required to stoop/bend/kneel/crouch/balance/climb.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. The manufacturing plant is open 24 hours a day, 5 days per week. There are three shifts with typical hours of (may vary depending on department):
1st Shift 8AM - 4:30PM
2nd Shift 4PM - 12:30AM
3rd Shift 12AM - 8:30AM
Little to no travel is expected for this position.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED preferred.
- Manufacturing experience preferred; experience in medical tubing and device manufacturing environment strongly preferred.
- Experience reading and interpreting blueprints a plus.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Hitachi Cable America Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. As a Federal Contractor, we encourage priority referral of protected veterans under VEVRAA.
Note: Candidate must be able to pass a background check and drug screen.