About High Performance Medical Solutions:
A leading wire and cable manufacturer since 1986, Hitachi Cable America designs and produces a broad range of advanced copper and fiber optic-based communication cable for clients in aerospace, medical, supercomputing, high-speed data, oil & gas exploration and the 5G wireless revolution.
Candidates with wire and cable manufacturing experience are preferred, but applicants with other relevant experience are encouraged to apply!
Division/Location: High Performance Medical Solutions / Ashaway, RI
Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Director of Manufacturing
The Secondary Operations Operator is responsible for manufacturing product, specifically post-extrusion, “secondary” operations on medical tubing and devices, that meets customer specifications, This position follows standard work methods to ensure production repeatability and the highest quality standards.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Visually and manually inspect plastic medical tubing for defects as it comes off the production line.
- Tray, bag, package or table plastic medical tubing.
- Place extruded medical tubing in appropriate plastic bags for packaging; create and affix labels appropriately.
- Properly fill out traying/packaging logs and other controlled documents as needed.
- Utilize specific equipment related to traying/handling/packaging as necessary.
- Adhere to policies and procedures related to customer requirements and Quality Management System.
- Train new employees as needed on all Trayer essential functions.
- Perform other duties as directed by Shift Lead, Production Supervisor or Engineering.
- Actively support and participate in Lean Manufacturing initiative when applicable and keep the “8 wastes of lean” in mind at all times.
Core Competencies / Qualifications:
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to understand specific directions, follow guidelines that are common throughout the department.
- Maintain a constant focus on quality and accuracy.
- Ability to apply common sense reasoning to carry out instructions or solve problems.
- Work with high level of initiative while under moderate supervision.
- Ability to respond to shifting priorities in a cooperative manner.
- Ability to read and write in English.
- Ability to effectively communicate with supervisor and co-workers.
This position is not responsible for the oversight or performance management of other employees.
This job operates in both a professional office environment as well as other areas of the facility including maintenance, production and warehouse areas. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes, airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment can be loud at times.
- The employee is required to stand for extended periods of time while working on extrusion line.
- Twisting at the hips is required to effectively tray extruded medical tubing.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds.
- Will frequently be required to stoop/bend/kneel/crouch/balance/climb.
- Must be able to manipulate and handle small diameter plastic tubing.
- Must be able to visually detect product defects such as discoloration and deformation.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. The manufacturing plant is open 24 hours a day, 5 days per week. There are three shifts with typical hours of (may vary depending on department):
1st Shift 8AM - 4:30PM
2nd Shift 4PM - 12:30AM
3rd Shift 12AM - 8:30AM
Little to no travel is expected for this position.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED preferred.
- Manufacturing experience preferred
- Experience reading and interpreting blueprints a plus.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Hitachi Cable America Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. As a Federal Contractor, we encourage priority referral of protected veterans under VEVRAA.
Note: Candidate must be able to pass a background check and drug screen.