Machine Operator – Cable
A leading wire and cable manufacturer since 1986, Hitachi Cable America designs and produces a broad range of advanced copper and fiber optic-based communication cable for clients in aerospace, medical, supercomputing, high-speed data, oil & gas exploration and the 5G wireless revolution.
Candidates with wire and cable manufacturing experience are preferred, but applicants with other manufacturing experience are encouraged to apply! HCA trains new employees on the first shift.
Division: Performance Cables
Location: Manchester, New Hampshire
Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Machine Operator - Cable is responsible for controlling and monitoring machines that bring two or more conductor groups and other components together to form the final cabled length, the pitch length, the wire cross section, the outer wire diameter, and lengths of the final product.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Observe all safety procedures and use equipment and materials properly
- Meet production standards by performing quality checks, in accordance with ISO procedures and following process and manufacturing specification sheets
- Troubleshoot manufacturing process, meeting production schedules and customer deadlines
- Document production paperwork neatly and legibly, both written and electronically
- Communicate and work closely with fellow operators and supervisors to coordinate tasks, discuss production problems, and exchange information to produce quality products
- Work a fulltime shift schedule with regular attendance and ability to work overtime as needed
- Maintain a constant focus on safety, quality, and accuracy
- Oral and written communication skills to exchange information with co-workers and supervisors
- Good math skills and mechanical aptitude
- High attention to detail is required in machine operation
- Ability to identify product defects that violate customer specifications
- Work with moderate supervision
- Adaptable to changes in job duties and priorities as production needs demand
- Must be teamwork oriented and have the ability to develop strong working relationships with department/team members.
This position is not responsible for the oversight or performance management of other employees.
This job operates in a controlled manufacturing environment designed for sustained production. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
- Must distinguish colors and pass a colorblind test
- Must be able to lift, carry, relocate approximately 70 lbs. of objects, materials, and/or product
- Ability to stand for long periods of time - Frequent bending, stooping, moving within plant
- Repetitive pushing and pulling motion of wire cable materials
- Eye hand coordination - Hand and finger dexterity
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. The manufacturing plant is open 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. There are three shifts with typical hours of:
1st Shift 7AM - 3PM
2nd Shift 3PM -11PM
3rd Shift 11PM - 7AM
Little to no travel is expected for this position.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED highly preferred
- Ability to read, follow and understand written and verbal manufacturing specifications, instructions and procedures in English required
- Basic computer skills with the ability to enter data accurately required
- Familiarity with handling a wide variety of plastics compounds and materials used to produce custom and high-quality products highly desirable
- Hands-on experience using micrometers, calipers, gauges, and other measuring devices
- Wire and cable extrusion experience highly desirable
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Hitachi Cable America provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. As a Federal Contractor, we encourage priority referral of protected veterans under VEVRAA.
Send resume to: HITACHI CABLE AMERICA
Email: HR.NH@hca.hitachi-cable.com or apply in person
Fax#: (603) 634-4174
Mailing Address: 900 Holt Avenue, Manchester, NH 03109, Attn: Human Resources