Production Shift Supervisor
A leading wire and cable manufacturer since 1986, Hitachi Cable America designs and produces a broad range of advanced copper and fiber optic-based communication cable for clients in aerospace, medical, supercomputing, high-speed data, oil & gas exploration and the 5G wireless revolution.
Candidates with wire and cable manufacturing experience are preferred, but applicants with other relevant experience are encouraged to apply!
Division: Performance Cables
Classification: Salary, Exempt
Reports to: Plant Manager
The Production Shift Supervisor is responsible for directing, coordinating and supervising the activities of manufacturing personnel in order to satisfy customer quality and on-time-delivery needs in a safe and effective manner. This position is responsible for supervising all hourly labor employees in the assigned manufacturing areas and shift. This position is also responsible for effectively coordinating with other departments to support effective use of manpower, materials, and equipment, as well as productivity improvement initiatives.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Plans, organizes, and directs team members to meet production schedules, expectations, and requirements of internal and external customers
- Ensures all plant policies and procedures are adhered to in a safe and consistent manner
- Oversees plant operations by setting goals and action plans for team members and evaluating results against target goals
- Champions a positive team environment by mentoring and training team members on the importance of safety, efficiency, productivity, cooperation, and morale while ensuring top quality products are produced
- Coordinates with Continuous Improvement team to implement 5S/Lean principles and procedures
- Focuses on waste reduction and minimization efforts to achieve budget
- Conducts shift turnover by reporting updated information and performing daily walk-through at shift transfer
- Maintain a constant focus on safety, quality, and accuracy
- A results driven leader with the ability to think critically and effectively
- Solid planning, leadership, and administrative skills
- Good oral and written communication skills to exchange information with all departments
- High attention to detail with the ability to manage the big picture and competing priorities daily
- Must be able to motivate, communicate and drive continuous improvement
- Good understanding of business principles and practices; can effectively manage the manufacturing function with a bottom-line result.
This position is responsible for the oversight and performance management of team members
This job operates in a controlled manufacturing environment designed for sustained production. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
Must distinguish colors and pass a colorblind test
Must be able to lift, carry, relocate approximately 70 lbs. of objects, materials, and/or product
Ability to stand for long periods of time - Frequent bending, stooping, moving within plant
Repetitive pushing and pulling motion of wire cable materials
Eye hand coordination - Hand and finger dexterity
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. The manufacturing plant is open 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. There are three shifts with typical hours of:
1st Shift 7AM - 3PM
2nd Shift 3PM -11PM
3rd Shift 11PM - 7AM
Little to no travel is expected for this position.
Education and Experience:
- BS / AS degree or other progressive manufacturing supervisory experience. Cable experience a plus.
- Six Sigma experience with 1-3 years of a practicing background but not required.
- Experience in manpower scheduling of personnel and jobs assignments due to changing priorities, customer demands, etc.
- Excellent verbal communication skills to exchange information with managers, employees, and co-workers.
- Ability to maintain production schedule in accordance with targeted customer deadlines.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Hitachi Cable America provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. As a Federal Contractor, we encourage priority referral of protected veterans under VEVRAA.