A leading wire and cable manufacturer since 1986, Hitachi Cable America designs and produces a broad range of advanced copper and fiber optic-based communication cable for clients in aerospace, medical, supercomputing, high-speed data, oil & gas exploration and the 5G wireless revolution.
Candidates with wire and cable manufacturing experience are preferred, but applicants with other relevant experience are encouraged to apply!
Division: Performance Cables
Classification: Salary, Exempt
Reports to: QA Manager
The Quality Assurance Engineer is responsible for monitoring and improving the quality of our operational processes and outputs. The position responsibilities include designing quality standards, inspecting materials, equipment, processes, and products, developing quality control systems, and determining corrective actions. The QA Engineer will interface with engineering, manufacturing, and other departments to implement quality measures.
The QA Engineer will recommend improvements to the quality system and procedures, perform statistical analysis and issue recommendations to reduce process variations.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Interfaces with product design and development engineers and production to develop control plans for manufactured goods and processes, using historical on-line and off-line quality parameter data for confirming process capability to ensure products are designed for manufacturability.
- Perform routine mechanical, dimensional, and electrical testing, and analysis of results on in-process product, finished product and incoming supplier product.
- Manages calibration program, calibrates test equipment within capabilities and confirms measurement adequacy through Gage R&R studies.
- Reviews and recommends changes to the Quality Management System and associated documents, such as standard operating procedures/standard work.
- Develops new testing methods or software programs to evaluate the quality of products.
- Reviews and recommends disposition of non-conforming material through RMA process.
- Initiates and manages CAPA / SCAR processes.
- Creates and maintains quality documentation and test results per defined procedures.
- Schedules quality department resource testing, coordinating with manufacturing and engineering.
- Prepares and conducts internal production/process and manufacturing quality control audits to ensure processes are in control and yield quality products.
- Executes internal QMS audits to ensure compliance with in-house and external specifications and standards such as ISO9001:2015.
- Manage and resolve supplier issues and customer complaints
- Attention to detail necessary.
- Strong statistical analysis skills with experience implementing SPC.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient in the use of formal problem-solving methods.
- Provide effective training as needed or required.
- Ability to meet time sensitive deadlines.
- Respond to shifting priorities in a cooperative manner.
- Understanding of lab testing methodology, process, and procedures.
- Proficient computer skills utilizing Microsoft Excel and Word, and customized programs.
- Reading, writing, and comprehension skills in English.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills to interact with co-workers, customers, etc.
This position is not responsible for the oversight or performance management of other employees.
- Finger dexterity and hand/eye coordination for operation of office equipment, including PC.
- Sitting and standing for periods of time, working at a desk in both office and lab environment.
- Light lifting, carrying of files and supplies, ability to move, or lift up to 30 lbs. of objects and/or materials.
- Ability to speak and hear customers, suppliers, and or other employees via phone or in person.
- Body motor skills sufficient to move from one office location to another throughout plan.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. The typical hours are 7AM-4PM or 8AM-5PM with a 1-hour lunch break.
Little to no travel is expected for this position.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required in Engineering or related field.
- Professional accreditation by ASQ in Quality Engineering, Management or Auditing preferred
- Experience with ISO9001 quality systems.
- 4-7 years’ experience in a manufacturing environment; prior experience in plastics or continuous process industry desired.
- Strong working knowledge of performance measurement and monitoring methods required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Hitachi Cable America Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. As a Federal Contractor, we encourage priority referral of protected veterans under VEVRAA.